Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Baked Pumpkin Oatmeal

My family and I love oatmeal and granola. Ok lets be honest we love anything with oats in it. We are always looking for new varieties of oatmeal and granola to try so when I spied this recipe over at Sweet Luvin in the Kitchen I new I had to give it a try. Let me tell you this stuff is so good. It come together really fast, tastes amazing and you can store the leftovers in the fridge and reheat the next couple of mornings for a fast, hearty, and healthy breakfast that will keep you and your kids full longer than a bowl of sugar cereal will. Now we still eat the sugary cereal in this house but we try to limit our intake of it and I am so happy my kids will eat pretty much anything I put in front of them and love it. If  you are in a breakfast rut go give this recipe a try.
 
Baked Pumpkin Oatmeal
adapted from Sweet Luvin in the Kitchen
1 can coconut milk
2 eggs
1/2 cup oil
(I used coconut oil, melted but canola or vegetable oil will work)
1 cup pumpkin puree
1 T. vanilla
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp salt
1 T. baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice(recipe follows for home made)
1 cup coconut
6 cups oats
 
Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9x13 inch pan and set aside. In a bowl combine the coconut milk, egg, oil, pumpkin, vanilla, and brown sugar. Whisk until smooth and well incorporated. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir to coat evenly. Spread into the greased pan and bake 25-30 minutes or until golden brown on top. Serve warm with milk, pumpkin seeds, walnuts, pecans, almonds, craisins, pomegranates, dark chocolate chips, coconut, etc. We served ours with nuts, chocolate, pomegranates, and milk. Next time I am going to add 1/2 cup of milled flax seeds to the mixture before baking.
 Pumpkin Pie Spice
3 T cinnamon
2 tsp. ginger
2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cloves
1 tsp allspice
Mix all together and store in an air tight container. Way cheaper than buying it at the store.

No comments: