Monday, January 12, 2009

Funeral Potatoes

I love love love funeral potatoes. I am sure that you all have a favorite recipe for these yummy cheesy potatoes but I have tried many recipes out there and this one is by far the best. My kids and hubby love these as well. We always eat them with ham, homemade dinner rolls, salad or some sort of cooked vegetable.


Funeral Potatoes
8 medium sized potatoes, baked and grated with a cheese grater
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1-16oz. container sour cream
1 small onion or 1/2 of a larger onion, grated with a cheese grater
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese-it is also good when you use half cheddar and half pepper jack
1 tsp salt
1 tsp. pepper
1 envelope ranch dressing mix
2 cups crushed corn flakes
1 stick butter, melted

Mix all of the ingredients except corn flakes and butter, in a large bowl. Pour into a greased 9x13 inch baking pan. Mix the butter and cornflakes and sprinkle on top of the potato mixture. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.

This is what they look like before you bake them:

3 comments:

Desta said...

MMMMMMMMM. I love these and will have to try out this particular recipe. My only question - why does EVERYONE call them funeral potatoes? Is there another name for them? Either way - super yum!

Hannah Eliason said...

Those look really yummy...especially right now.

Jinny and Mick said...

Jessie,
I am SO glad you posted that recipe today. Mick has to bring funeral potatoes to a work party (yes, all 6 employees) on Thursday, so glad I don't have to search for one, I'll use yours! Nothing worse than a dry plate of funeral potatoes.