Monday, August 22, 2011

Whole Wheat Naan with Chicken and Chick Peas

Love love love Naan. I have been searching for a good whole wheat naan recipe and I finally found one. It was so yummy and tasted just as good as regular. Now when I can find something and make it a little bit healthier for us that tastes just as good it makes me happy. Give this recipe a try it is awesome. Eat it with curry, falafel, meat and veggie kabobs or fill it with chicken and chick peas like we did.

Whole Wheat Naan
1/2 cup warm water
2 tsp active dry yeast
1 tsp sugar
2 cups whole wheat flour(I used fresh ground white whole wheat)
1/2 cup bread flour( I didn't have so used all purpose)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup plain yogurt
1 large egg
Olive oil,for cooking

In a large bowl stir together the water, yeast, and sugar and let stand for 10 minutes.Stir in the yogurt, oil, and egg until mixed. and then stir in the flour and salt. Knead until you have a soft, pliable dough. Cover and let rise until doubled in size...about an hour. Punch dough down and divide into 8 -10 pieces. Roll out each piece ,on a lightly floured surface , into a thin circle. Heat a skillet, wiped with a tiny bit of olive oil, over medium heat and fry each side until brown dots appear.

Crockpot Chicken and Chickpeas
4 chicken breasts
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup olive oil
juice of 2-3 lemons
1/4-1/3 cup fresh oregano or 1 T. dried oregano
1 small onion, diced
1/2 green pepper, diced
2 T. minced garlic
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1/2 - 1 cup water
1 tsp. chicken bouillon

Place all in a crockpot and cook on high for 4-5 hours or low 7-8 hours. Serve in WW Naan bread with tomatoes, avocados, fresh spinach, and feta cheese. Or you can serve with rice!!!

Note: for my kiddos I took the onion and pepper out of the meat. I just wanted to use them for the flavor. My kids will eat onions and peppers just not in big chunks!!

2 comments:

Jinny and Mick said...

I haven't checked blogs in about a month-these recipes look so yummy!

Coleens Recipes said...

Great job, this looks amazing!!!