Friday, October 25, 2013

Pumpkin Cornbread

It is fall the weather is cooler and with that comes soup season. I love a good bowl of soup/stew/chili when the weather is cool and nothing is better than some fresh made bread or cornbread to go along with it. I stumbled across this gem of a recipe over at In the Little Red House and knew I had to give it a try. This stuff was awesome!!! Nothing says fall like pumpkin and cornbread!! It was genius to put them together. If you love Pumpkin and you love cornbread give this recipe a try you will love it I am sure!!!
 
Pumpkin Cornbread
(adapted from In the little red House)
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup cornmeal
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon,optional(I didn't  use it)
1 cup milk
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
1 cup pumpkin puree
 
Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl. Mix the wet ingredients in another bowl. Dump the wet ingredients into the dry and mix just until combined. Pour into a well greased 8 or 9 inch square pan and Bake at 350 for 20 -25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Serve with your favorite soup. SLather with butter and honey if desired.
 
Note: Many cornbread recipes tell you to cook it at a high temp like 400-425 but I find that it makes the outside cook too fast and I hate when the sides are overcooked so I cook it at a lower temp for longer time. All ovens vary in temp so just watch it to make sure you don't cook it to long!! if you want a 9x13 pan size than double the recipe. I always double for my family cause we love cornbread!!
 

1 comment:

Jinny and Mick said...

It was delicious, thanks for the recipe!