Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Maple-Pumpkin Granola

I love granola and it is just way to expensive to buy at the store plus most of them are loaded with fat!!! I eat granola every mornig for breakfast and I like that you can make it the way you want and put in all sorts of healthy stuff for you. I found this recipe over at the Sugar Plum website. I adapted it a little bit to put what I like in it. That is another reason why I love granola you can just add what you like and make it different each time. This was really yummy and I like it even better than my other granola I have posted before!!

Maple-Pumpkin Granola adapted from Sugar Plum
1 cup pumpkin puree
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup pure maple syrup
4 T. oil
3 tsp cinnamon
3 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
6 3/4 cup old fashioned oats
1-2 cups nuts (i used almonds and pecans)
1 cup wheat gream
1/2 cup whole flax seeds
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cups craisins

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Spray 2 large cookie sheets with cooking spray. In a large bowl whisk together pumpkin, brown sugar, maple syrup, oil, cinnamon, vanilla and salt until well combined. Stir in the oats, wheat grem, flax seeds, and nuts. Spread onto the cookie sheets. Bake for 40-45 minutes(stiring occasionally) until golden brown and slightly crisp. Remove from over and stir in the raisins and craisins and let cool. Store in an air tight container. Keeps for 2-3 months with out going stale.

4 comments:

Melissa Baird said...

I've been enjoying your other granola recipe, so I'll definitely have to try this. Sounds good.

Tessa said...

This sounds great as well as a great way to use up that half can of pumpkin puree that always ends up in my fridge :-)

Jinny and Mick said...

Looks so tasty, will have to try.

Melissa Baird said...

I made this the other day. SOOOOO good. My new favorite granola. Thanks. I will enjoy.