Thursday, November 13, 2008

Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup and Rolls

Who doesn't love a homemade bowl of soup and hot homemade rolls on a cold rainy/snowy or wintery day? We had a rainy day yesterday and my husband works outside so I decided to make something warm for him to eat for dinner!! We love homemade soup and it is great because you cook it all in one pot so there is less clean up!

Jessie's Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup

1 T. olive oil
1-2 lb diced raw boneless skinless chicken breasts(depends on how much chicken you like in your soup-my husband likes more veggies and less meat)
1 large onion
2 T. minced garlic
4 stalks celery, diced
5 large carrots, diced
2 large potatoes, diced
2 small cans cream of chicken soup
1 1/2 qts chicken stock/broth
1/2 qt water
2 T. dried parsley
2 dried bay leaves
6 T. chicken bouillon
1 tsp. pepper
1-14.5 oz petite diced tomates (sometimes I use 2 cans depending on my mood)
1/2 to 3/4 lb pasta-any kind you like-egg noodles, shell, rotini, bowtie (i have used all kinds)
Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the chicken and cook until browned and cooked. Add the onion, garlic, celery, and carrots and cook for 5-8 minutes. Then add the diced tomates, chicken broth, water, chicken bouillon, parsley, bay leaves, pepper, potatoes and cream of chicken soup. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for an hour or until the veggies are tender. Then add the pasta and bring to a boil and simmer until noodles are tender. The longer it simmers the more flavorful it becomes. Note: I sometimes make homemade noddles and they are great!! If you have a little extra time try to make homemade noodles. Here is a recipe for them:
2 cups flour, 4 eggs, 1 tsp salt, 2 T. melted butter~ Mix these until well combined. Cover the dough and let rest for 15 minutes. Then roll out on a floured surface to 1/8 inch thick (or with a pasta maker) and cut into strips. Place in simmering soup and cook until they rise to the top of the soup. They are done when they rise to the top.
This is all the soup in the pot!! It makes a large pot so you can freeze some for later, give some to a neighbor or just cut the recipe in half. It makes great leftovers though. I always make the full batch and we usually eat it all up!!
Here are some Yummy homemade rolls!! This recipe comes from my mom but I roll them out different then her because I can't make them look as good as hers doing it the way she does!!

Becky's Homemade Rolls

2 cups warm water
2 T. instant yeast or active dry yeast~I use instant because you don't have to activate it before you throw all the ingredients in together. But if you use active just mix the yeast with the warm water until bubbly~about ten minutes then mix with all the rest of ingredients
2 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
4 T. oil
1 tsp. salt
3-5 cups flour


If using instant yeast, mix the yeast with one cup flour and set aside. Meanwhile, Mix the warm water, eggs, sugar, salt, and oil together. Add 2 cups flour and the flour yeast mixture and mix for two minutes. Then add another cup of flour and mix until smooth. Continue adding flour until a soft smooth dough is formed. Dough should not be too sticky but not too stiff either.Take out of bowl and knead it by hand on a floured surface for 5 minutes. Place in an oiled bowl , cover and let rise until doubled in size.(about 1 hour) Punch down and let rest for 2 minutes. Then roll the rolls into desired shape. Place on a greased cookie sheet or in a greased pan, cover and let rise until doubled in size, about 20-30 minutes. Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes.
If you want to make them like mine in the picture you cut the dough in half after the first raising and then roll each half out into a circle like a pizza and cut it with a pizza cutter into slices of pizza. Take the large end and roll up like a crescent to the small end. Place on cookie sheet.

4 comments:

Lindsey and Isaac said...

Jessie, I just wanted to tell you that I LOVE this blog. All your recipes are SO good. I seriously want to make all of them. I think I should just print them all and have them be my recipe book! Thanks and keep it up!!

Hyrum and Elsie said...

Thank you so much for you rolls recipe. I just made them and they were good except I used wheat flour and I've noticed that they turned out kinda thougher don't know why, maybe because of the wheat. I will for sure try regular flour next time. I really want mine to look as good as yours :D thanks for sharing your recipes, I am 26 wks pregnant and with this colder weather I've been craving a bunch of soups.. don't know why.. :) but your blog is a life saver. good luck to you and thank you again! oh and My friend Yanin told me about your blog in my desperate need to find new recipes to make for my family :)

Jason, Alyson, Kaci, Brynley & Ashlynn said...

These were so darn good...the leftover one's made great sandwiches for Jason and the girls! I love the recipes you post on here!

Anonymous said...

Making these yummy rolls was my first try in homemade roll making. Now I am hooked. So much so I had to make another batch! Hopefully everyone else at Thanksgiving dinner loves these as much as I do. Thank you for sharing your recipe. Definitely one to keep in my recipe box! Thanks!!