Thursday, January 8, 2009

Heart Healthy Chicken Soup

I tried a new soup recipe last night. It turned out really good and my family loved it!! Plus another added bonus is that it is really healthy for you. I got this recipe from the Picky Palate website. I changed some things a little bit but I cannot, like I have said before take the credit for the soups goodness. I am going to give you the recipe how I made it but if you want to see the original recipe you can go to www.picky-palate.com We ate the soup with grilled cheese but would be equally good with homemade rolls!!


Heart Healthy Chicken Soup
2 T. olive oil
2 cups carrots, peeled and diced
4 stalks celery, diced
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1 onion, diced
2 jalapenos, seeded and diced
2 T. minced garlic
2 chicken breasts, chopped or shredded
3 cans (14 oz each) chicken broth you can also use low sodium broth
3 T. tomato paste
2 cans great northern beans, drained and rinsed
1 1/2 cups frozen corn or you can use a can of corn, drained but I reccomend frozen
2 cups sliced fresh spinach
1 tsp black pepper
2 T. Ranch dressing mix
1 cup water
2 tsp. chicken boullion
2 bay leaves
1 T. parsley

Heat the oil in a large pot. Add the chicken and cook until browned and no longer pink. Add in carrots, celery, onion, red pepper, jalapeno, and garlic. Saute for about 8 minutes or until the veggies begin to get tender. Then add all the rest of the ingredients except the spinach. Bring to a boil and simmer for 30 -1 hour or until the carrots are tender. Add in the spinach and simmer for 15 minutes more. Serve with grilled cheese or rolls!!


My kids loved this and it is a good way to get your kids to eat spinach without the taste of spinach!!

No comments: