Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Jambalaya

I love jambalaya and I always have. I have been searching for a homemade recipe for awhile now. I spotted this recipe at Mel's kitchen Cafe a little while back and printed it off. I finally got around to making it tonight for dinner. Man was it good. My kids gobbled it up as well. While I was cooking my little 5 year old said Man mom it sure smells yummy in here. If you love Jambalaya you must give this recipe a try. It is supper easy and comes together pretty quick.

Jambalaya adapted from Mel's Kitchen Cafe
1 pound smoked sausage, cut into pieces
1 pound chicken, cut into pieces or small shrimp(i used shrimp)
2 T. flour
2 T. butter
1 large onion, chopped
1-2 T. garlic, minced
3 ribs celery, I didn't have any on hand so I didn't use
1 bell pepper (red or green) chopped I used about 7 or 8 mini sweet peppers
1 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp creole or cajun seasoning(us a light hand if you don't want it overly spicy)
1(10 oz) can Rotel tomatoes
1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
1/2 tsp sugar
1-2 tsp liquid smoke
1(14.5 oz) can chicken broth(can use low sodium or whatever suits your fancy)
2 cups cooked rice

In a 4-6 quart pot, cook the sausage and chicken or shrimp over medium heat. If you don't use the sausage then you will need to use a little olive oil to cook the chicken and shrimp in. Cook until done then scrape meat onto a plate and set aside. Melt the butter in the same pot stir in the flour and cook, stirring, for one minute. Add the veggies, basil, Cajun seasoning, Rotel tomatoes, tomato sauce, and sugar. Stir well. Simmer the mixture over low heat for 15-20 minutes, or until veggies are tender. Add the meat back into the pot and cook for 10 minutes more, stirring occasionally. Add the chicken broth and simmer for 5 minutes longer. Then stir in the hot cooked rice until you achieve the desired consistency. (i used more than 2 cups rice)

Note: you can use all one kind of meat if you desire. Use whatever you like the best.

Note: if you want it spicier than add more Cajun or Creole seasoning(i would have added more if my kids weren't eating with us but for them the amount was good that I did) YOu can also by hot rotel or mild so that can change the heat also.


1 comment:

Nichole said...

yum im going to have to try this. and your key lime bars. they sound so good