Monday, June 6, 2011

M&M Dream Bars

Oh my these babies are so yummy and super fast to make. They taste like a monster cookie without the hassle of baking sheet after sheet of cookies with a yummy peanut butter mixture throughout the center of the bar. If you need a quick recipe for a bbq, summer party or church function make these babies they are sure to be a crowd pleaser. Don't mind my valentine colored M&M's I stock up on M&M's and other chocolate candy after the holidays for a dollar a bag and save tons of money then buying them at 3-4 dollars a bag. Just a quick little tip. I was able to buy so many things I use for baking after easter this year for 1 dollar a bag. I love getting a good deal on grocery things (did I say grocery I mean chocolate) as well as cooking. Kidding I love deals on all grocery stuff but I can't really classify chocolate candy as grocery can I?Also sorry to whomever this recipe belongs to I lost where I got it from so I can't give the proper credit to them. I am usually pretty good about making sure I write where I get recipes from but occasionally I let one slip. Well, back to these fabulous bars here is the recipe:

M&M Dream Bars
2 cups oats(we prefer old fashioned rolled oats)
1 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 flour
1/2 cup coconut
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup melted butter(no substitutes)
1(14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
3/4 cup peanut butter
1 cup peanut butter M&M's
1 cup milk chocolate M&M's

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a bowl mix the oats, brown sugar, flour, coconut, soda, and salt together. Stir in the melted butter, mixing until crumbly mixture forms. Set aside 1 1/2 cups of the crumbs. Press the remaining crumb mixture into a 9x13 inch greased pan and bake for 12 minutes. Mix the sweetened condensed milk and peanut butter together until smooth. Put dollops of the peanut butter mixture all over the cooked crust and spread out evenly as carefully as you can.(I found it easiest to do this by putting the dollops of pb mixture on crust then popped it back into the oven for a minute to let it warm up and softened the pb mixture then took it out and spread it)After you spread that over the crust Sprinkle both kinds of M&M's over the pb mixture. Sprinkle the remaining crumbs over the M&M's and press down lightly all over. Then pop back in the oven for 20 more minutes or until golden. Let cool and then cut and enjoy!!!

3 comments:

Tessa said...

You had me convinced at "monster cookie" as they are one of my husband's favorites. These look great!

We stock up on candy/chocolate after the holidays too, although mine doesn't usually make it long enough to find its way into a recipe :)

Unknown said...

Yum!! These sound so great!! Im bookmarking this recipe now : )

Jason, Alyson, Kaci, Brynley & Ashlynn said...

so so good and easy to throw together!