Sunday, June 12, 2011

Peanut Butter(or any kind of nut butter)

So I am so excited about this post!!! We go through more peanut butter in our house than you could even imagine. I have been trying to get my family to eat the healthy REAL peanut butter for the past year that you can buy at pretty much any grocery store. You know the kind that is just peanuts and a little salt. Well they wouldn't until now. I never thought about making my own until I saw this on a friend's blog. So I decided I just had to try it. So easy and so yummy!!! And so much better for you than the peanut butter with added sugar and hydrogenated oils in it. Give this a try you won't be able to turn back to store bought believe me. My kids even ask for it they don't like the store bought anymore.


Peanut Butter(to make 1 pint jar full)
3 cups roasted unsalted peanuts (or almonds or any nut you would like)
salt to taste
1-2 T. honey(optional)

Dump the nuts into a food processor and turn on and let them blend and blend for about 15 minutes. Now if you think they are not going to all come together and make PB don't give up!! It takes the nuts time to release the oils in them to make them smooth. Just keep processing until you reach the desired consistency. The more you process the more soft and liquidy(is that even a word?) it becomes. Then add in salt to taste and the honey if you would like a little sweetness to it. I do this for my kids sake. Pour into a jar and refrigerate and use as desired or eat it off the spoon.

Note: be sure to store in the fridge
Note: if the nuts you are using haven't been roasted. place them on a cookie sheet and roast in a 350 degree oven for 10-15 minutes

2 comments:

Smitty n' Chelle said...

wow!!! I might need to make some. We buy PB at sams in the HUGE can cause we go through so much of it. Josh alwys wants the natural but it is so much more I hate to get it. I might need to do this and if we all like it then that would be awesome! thanks for sharing!

Jinny and Mick said...

So excited about this, I have been wanting to try it since you told me to about it!