Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Sticky Coconut Chicken

So I saw this recipe over at MmmCafe, and I decided that I had to try it. It looked so yummy. She got the recipe from My Kitchen Cafe. Both of these ladies have some great recipes so you should go check their blogs out. This turned out really good and my kids devoured(sp) it fast. I will definitely be making this chicken again.

Sticky Coconut Chicken
6 boneless skinless chicken breast or tenders(I cut my breast into tender size pieces)
1 cup coconut milk
1 1/2 T. grated fresh ginger
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp. red pepper flakes(i used half of that because my kids don't like spicy but my husband and I do but I wanted the kids to eat it)

Marinade chicken in the coconut milk, ginger, pepper, and red pepper flakes for at least 4 hours but I would reccomend all day or even overnight.(I did mine for the 4 hours because that is was the original recipe called for but I wanted a stronger coconut flavor so next time I will marinade overnight.) After marinading, grill on the Barbeque or the George foreman grill.

Glaze:
1 1/2 cup rice vinegar
3/4 cup sugar
6 T. soy sauce
1-2 tsp red pepper flakes or 1/2 tsp Sriracha hot chili sauce~you can find this at any grocery store on the asian or chinese food isle~i used the chili sauce

While the chicken is grilling, bring the above ingredients to a boil and simmer and cook until mixture is reduced and thickened, about 10 minutes. Mine never thickened enough for me by boiling so I added 2 T. of cornstarch mixed in water to the above mixture and it thickened it just right. Immediately take the mixture off the heat once it reaches your desired thickness. With a pastry brush glaze both sides of the chicken the last few minutes of grilling. Serve over rice. Top the rice and Chicken with more glaze. Don't leave the glaze out it makes the dish.
My husband and I also added a little bit more Sriracha sauce to our rice and chicken once it was dished up. I didn't want to make it too spicy for the kids but my husband and I like spicy.


This was one of my kids plates. I cut up the chicken for them before serving it and we had it with steamed broccoli and zucchini(not pictured because my kids only wanted broccoli) This dish goes so well with steamed veggies!!!

2 comments:

Coleens Recipes said...

This looks HEAVENLY, I HAVE to try this one, thanks for sharing.

Donna-FFW said...

So Bookmarked!