Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Apple Crisp


This is a classic dessert!! Nothing better on a cold day than a warm apple crisp with vanilla ice cream on top. I have tried alot of Apple crisp recipes and this is my favorite one!! It is really simple but tasty. All of the ingredients you should already have in your pantry other than maybe the apples. We love fresh apples so we usually have a bunch in the fridge.

APPLE CRISP
1 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
2 cups oats~old fashioned are the best but use what you have on hand
1 cup flour
1/4 tsp each of baking soda and baking powder
Mix these all together with a pastry blender or a knife and a fork or your hands until well mixed and looks like this:

Next combine:
10 cups peeled and cored apples~any kind will do but granny smith work the best but I will tell you I use whatever I have at the time
1 cup granulated sugar
1 T. cornstarch
1 T. ground cinnamon
Dump into a greased 9x13 pan. and Sprinkle the oat mixture over the top of it like this:

This is what it looks like before going in the oven: Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes or until the apples are tender.You can check them by poking a fork into an apple. You may also want to cover this with foil after 30 minutes of cooking so the top doesn't brown up to fast!!

This is what it looks like when it come out of the oven. Sorry the pic isn't very good!!

3 comments:

Jinny and Mick said...

I love apple crisp, I make it a lot. I'll have to try this one.

Jilly Bean said...

That looks so delicious! Unfortunately, 10 cups of apples sounds like a lot of work and I don't have that much on hand. Sheesh. Maybe that's good for my figure. ;)

Romney Family said...

For those that think 10 cups is a lot of apples it isn't because apples are big and you can't fit many slices in a cup. I used about 6 regular sized apples and that was about 10 cups. Just use what you have and cut the crisp in half or just have more crisp and less apples!!