Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Sweet and Sour Chicken

My family and I love Chinese food and you can say that it is hard to find a recipe that turns out just like it tastes at a chinese restaurant. Well I finally found one!! this tasted so good. I found this recipe at My Kitchen Cafe. I will be adding this to our dinner rotation. Mine does not look as good as hers but hey it tasted good and maybe with a little practice it will look better next time plus I was in a little rush when making it. If you love Chinese you must try this!!!

Sweet and Sour Chicken

3-4 chicken breast, cubed
salt and pepper
1 cup cornstarch or flour
3 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup oil

Salt and pepper the chicken. Beat the eggs in a bowl and dump in the chicken pieces mix till all coated. In another shallow dish place the constarch(or flour) and coat the egg washed chicken pieces till well coated.Fry in the oil until browned all over but not cooked clear through. Place in a single layer in a 9x13 inch pan.
Then mix the sauce ingredients all together well.
Sauce:
3/4 cup sugar
4 T. ketchup
1/2 cup vinegar~i used red wine but white vinegar would work also
1 T. soy sauce
1 tsp minced garlic(use 1 tsp garlic salt for extra sauce)

Pour this mixture over the browned chicken and Bake at 325 for 1 hour. Turn the chicken every 15 minutes. If you like extra sauce, make another batch of sauce and bring it to a boil on the stovetop. Stir and let cook over medium heat until thickened and reduced~about ten minutes. Pour extra sauce over rice and cooked chicken.

Note:do not put more sauce on the chicken while it cooks or it will not come out crispy it will be soggy. I made extra sauce and put it over the chicken and rice on our plates and it was great.
Note: for the sauce on the chicken in the oven I used fresh garlic but for the extra sauce I used garlic salt like the original recipe said.

5 comments:

Rach Romney said...

Cassie made us this same recipe the other night and it was so GOOD!! that website has some great recipes!

Elly May said...

Sistah! This is really Hannah. I didn't want to log out and sign into my account since Elly is currently on. I have a request of you. Will you pretty please post ur caramel popcorn, because Elly and I talked about it the other day and I decided I'm cravin' it. Love ya!!!!!!!!

Tami said...

We love Chinese food at our house, too. This dish looks delish!

Coleens Recipes said...

My hubby would LOVE this recipe, thanks for sharing.

Aaron, Cera, Jaylen and Gavin said...

Wow. So good. I made this for dinner last night and it was a hit. Definitely added to our new lineup. Love your blog!!! You've saved my relationship with my kitchen from boredom!