Monday, April 18, 2011

Homemade Pasta

What could be better than homemade pasta(other than homemade bread? I bought a big bag of semolina flour at this little Amish store I shop at and have been wanting to find a recipe for pasta to use it. Low and behold about 3 days after I bought the pasta Coleen from here posted a recipe for Semolina pasta. I was so excited and had to give them a try. They were amazing and we loved them. They take a little more effort than just opening a box but they are well worth it and if you have a stand mixer and a pasta roller and cutter like I do it makes it really easy. Give these a try you won't be disappointed.

Homemade Semolina Pasta
1 1/2 cups semolina flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
2 T water
2 T. olive or canola oil

Combine the flour and salt. Add the eggs, water and oil. Mix till well combined and knead for 10 minutes( I did mine with my stand mixer) Cover and let the dough rest for 30 minutes.(don't skip this part very important)
After 30 minutes, break the dough into golf ball sized pieces and roll out really flat with a rolling pin or a pasta roller. The cut to desired noodle width. I did fettuccini. YOu can air dry the noodles or just boil them right away. It takes them longer to cook if you air dry them. I just throw mine into a pot of boiling water as soon as I get them rolled and cut.
Note: Instead of cutting them into noodles you can use them and make ricotta cheese filled ravioli or tortellini
Note: I doubled the recipe for my family of four because we like pasta and we like to have leftovers.

1 comment:

Coleens Recipes said...

How exciting, I'm so glad you tried the pasta. That photo with the sauce looks absolutely delicious. I really want to try making ravioli, but havn't found a tempting recipe for the filling yet.