Saturday, March 5, 2011

Healthy and Hearty Chicken Quinoa Stew

I found this recipe awhile back over at Picky Palate and knew I had to try it out. It was so yummy and good for you!!! Quinoa(keen-wah) is very good for you and for those who don't know what it is google it and read all about it and its benefits. I will not bore you with a history lesson on it. Anywho, I know I have posted a lot of soup recipes but the winter is what soup is for. Go ahead and give this soup a try you won't be disappointed believe me!!!

Hearty &Healthy Chicken Quinoa Stew adapted from Picky Palate
2 T. olive oil
2 T. minced garlic
1 large onion, chopped
5 stalks celery, chopped
5 large carrots, chopped
2 cups mini sweet peppers, chopped (or 2 red orange or yellow bell peppers)
1 large zucchini, chopped
64 oz chicken broth
3 cups water
3 T. chicken bouillon or 3 bouillon cubes
15 oz can diced tomatoes
3 cups cooked Quinoa
3 medium chicken breast cooked and shredded
2 T. spicy brown mustard
1/2 tsp black pepper
salt to taste
1-2 T. parsley

Heat oil in a large pot. Saute the garlic, onion,peppers and zucchini until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer gently for about 1 hour. Serve with homemade bread or rolls!!!

2 comments:

Aaron, Cera, Jaylen and Gavin said...

so excited about this one! I have a huge bag of quinoa and have no idea what to do with it, so this will be great! Thanks for sharing such yummy recipes!

Lara said...

We made this recipe recently and loved it, although I would recommend halving it first. It easily fed our family of 7, three separate meals. :) I love how colorful and healthy it is.