Thursday, May 27, 2010

Baguette

I am sure many of you are wondering where on earth I have been. Well I have been no where other than my bed 24 hrs a day for the past 5-6 weeks. I am pregnant!! We are expecting our 3rd little one the end of November. I was never sick with my other two so this has been a different thing for me. I feel rotten and if I eat I feel better but nothing sounds good and I don't want to cook and I can't even stomach treats, baked goods, or candy very often and if you know me at all you know that that is what i usually want all the time. Anyway, I am still feeling yucky but decided it was time to come back and at least post a recipe I have been wanting to blog about since before I started feeling yucky. I found this recipe over at the Sister's Cafe. It is so easy and simple but so tasty!! You must try it!!! I sprinkled the Bread with my garlic seasoning mix with parmesan cheese in it after the bread came out of the oven.

Baguette
1 1/2 cups warm water
1 1/2 T. instant yeast
2 tsp. sugar
3 1/4 cups flour
2 tsp. salt

In a small bowl combine the Instant yeast with 1 cup flour and set aside. In a large mixing bowl combine the warm water, sugar, salt,and 1 1/2 cups flour. Mix well. Add the flour yeast mixture and mix for 2- 3 minutes. Then add the remaining flour and mix until dough becomes a soft ball dump on a floured surface and knead for 5 minutes. Cut the dough in half and shape each half into a baguette. Place on a lightly greased cookie sheet. Cover and let rise for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 450. With a very sharp serrated knife gently make a slash down the length of each baguette. This will give it the authentic look.
Like So:


Bake the bread for 15 minutes. Half way throught, brush the bread with melted butter. Brittany over at My sister's Cafe said she tried olive oil also but it was less crispy and not as good as the one she put butter on so you choose. Like I said before I sprinkled the tops of mine after they cooked with parmesan garlic seasoning. We ate this bread with pasta.
I made a toasted sandwich the next day for lunch with the leftover bread and it was amazing. I just toasted it in the oven on Broil (with the meat and cheese on it) and then put avocado, tomato, and fresh lettuce or spinach on it. doesn't that look amazing!!

3 comments:

Desta said...

Congrats!!! I missed your awesome recipes but I hope you can get some rest.

Lara said...

Congrats on the upcoming baby! I hope you get past the yucky time soon! The bread looks amazing!

Stacy said...

Congratulations! I'm also expecting and due November 21st! I totally know what you're talking about with the sickness. I felt terrible both with my 1st daughter and now this one. Yesterday was the first day I woke up and didn't feel nauseous. Hope you start feeling better real soon! =)