Saturday, March 28, 2009

Homemade Corn Dogs

These are so yummy but so not good for you!! That is why we made them on a Friday night because come on every once and a while you need to live and have something that has been fried in grease!! My kids love corn dogs but I never buy them so when I saw this recipe on Mommy's Kitchen I knew I just had to try it especially for my kids. They were a hit and they were so easy and way better than any corn dog I have ever had. The corn breading was so light and not heavy like the bread on store bought ones. My husband who doesn't even care for hot dogs ate 3 of them, yes 3 is what I said. So if you like corn dogs you had better give these a try!! Don't worry we had fresh fruit and carrot sticks to go along with these so our meal wasn't totally unhealthy!!

How could you not want to eat one of those with tons of mustard and ketchup to dip it in:


Homemade Corn Dogs~adapted from Mommy's Kitchen
1 cup milk or buttermilk~i used buttermilk
2 eggs
1/4 cup oil
2 T. sugar
1 tsp salt
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/3 cup cornmeal
2/3 cup flour
12-14 hot dogs
flour for dusting(about 1/2 cup)
Oil or deep fryer for frying
popsicle sticks, chop sticks, or wooden meat skewers~I used wooden meat skewers because that is what I had in my house

First preheat your fryer or oil in a pan on your stove to 375 degrees or until the oil is almost smoking. In a large bowl combine the dry ingredients and mix. Then add the buttermilk, eggs and oil and mix until combined and is a thick batter~mine was really thick so I added about 1/2 cup more milk. Take your hot dogs and dry them off with paper towels. Then roll each one in flour~ if you don't do this the cornmeal mixture will not stick to the hot dog. Then put each hot dog on a stick. Dump your batter into a large cup or mason jar that is as tall as your hot dogs and dunk your hot dog into batter and swirl around until coated like so:


Place them immediately into your deep fryer or hot oil on the stove and cook until brown on all sides. Like this and enjoy!!


Your kids will love them!!!

6 comments:

Donna-FFW said...

I have never made these before.. I bet my kids would so love them! They look fantastic!

Rach Romney said...

YUMMY! I will definetly be trying that recipe!!

redkimo said...

Those look so good! Corn dogs are one of my favorites and I am going to have to try these. Thanks!

Jinny and Mick said...

Those look awesome, I haven't had a corn dog in years!

Sophie said...

I will definitely be making these soon!

The Recipe Blog said...

Have you tried these with cheese? Like at Hot Dog on a Stick?