Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Cream Cheese Chocolate Chips scones

In all my years of baking I have never made and an honest to goodness scone. I always thought scones were the pieces of bread dough you flatten out and fry in oil and then slather with butter and honey or whatever else your hearts fancies. Now don't get me wrong those kind of scones taste wonderful but I wanted to branch out and try the baked scones. Let me tell you these did not disappoint. In one word they were Delicious!! I seriously could have eaten the whole batch by myself. They are good served as a dessert or for breakfast. They were super easy to make. If you want something new and tasty to add to your breakfast or dessert repertoire then go make these fast!!! Please!! You will thank me later!!!
Cream Cheese Chocolate Chip Scones
2 3/4 cup flour
2 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup butter (cold and cut into chunks)
2/3 cup brown sugar
2 T. baking powder
1 tsp salt
4 eggs
4 tsp vanilla
1(8oz) package cream cheese, very softened(I microwave mine for a min.)
1 cup cream or 1/2 cup whole milk mixed with 1/2 cup sour cream
2 cups milk or semi sweet chocolate chips
Glaze:
1 package cream cheese(8oz), softened
2-3 cups powdered sugar
4 T. milk
In a large bowl mix the flours, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Cut in the butter until resembles crumbs. Stir in the chocolate chips. In a separate mixing bowl, mix the eggs, vanilla, milk, cream cheese, and cream. Mix with dry ingredients. Don't over mix or they will be tough. Scrape dough onto a floured surface. Pat into a 17x3 inch rectangle about 1 inch thick. The dough will be fairly sticky so make sure you have enough flour on your work surface. cut into triangles. Place on greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for about 18 minutes. Mix the glaze ingredients well and drizzle over the warm but not hot scones. You can let set till cool or you can devour them right away. They are good cold but I prefer them warm out of the oven!! 

 

No comments: