Thursday, September 26, 2013

Cuban Street Tacos

Tacos. Now who doesn't love a good taco? Can I tell you that these tacos are out of this world delicious. Dare I say one of the best tacos to ever cross my lips and I might add that the leftover meat is amazing on quesadilla or a burritos. Seriously, tasty!!! I have to say also that I have made this pork numerous times over the last few years but always seem to forget to take a picture of it before we inhale them, Now this pork taco has a few steps to go through to make it but believe me it is worth the time and effort and I implore you to not skip any of the steps because they all add to the intense flavor of this meat and make it that deliciousness that you want to eat over and over again!!!
 
Cuban Street Tacos
4-5 lb boneless pork butt or pork loin, cut into 2 inch chunks(I use pork loin)
1 T. kosher salt
1 T. canola oil or veggie oil
1 cup water
1 cup chicken stock
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp oregano
2 bay leaves
2 T. minced garlic
1-2 jalapenos, finely chopped
1 onion, peeled and halved
juice of 1 lime
1 medium orange, halved,juiced,rinds reservered
 
Garnishes:
corn tortillas
1 small red onion, diced
cilantro, chopped
sour cream
avocados
cheese
limes
pico de gallo
 
Rub the pork pieces with the salt and Refrigerate for at least one hour or you can do this the night before to speed up the process. Preheat a large skillet over medium high heat, add the oil, then add the pork pieces and sear each piece on all sides, working in batches, if needed. Once browned, remove the pork to the slow cooker. Into the same pot used to sear the pork pour in the water and chicken stock scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon to get up all the little brown bits from the bottom of the pan. I need to say that I usually use a can of chicken broth and then add a little bit of water to equal 2 cups of liquid because I never usually have a use for 1 cup of broth and I hate wasting it so I just use it all. Then add the pepper, cumin, chili powder, oregano, bay leaves, garlic, jalapenos, onion, lime juice, juice from the orange and the orange rinds and bring the mixture to a simmer. Pour over the pork in the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours, until the pork is very tender. Remove the bay leaves, orange rinds and onion chunks. Remove the pork and set aside. Pour the liquid into a saucepan and bring the mixture to a boil. Let the mixture boil until it reduces to about 1 cup and is thickened, slightly. Shred the pork and place back in the crock pot and pour the sauce from the saucepan over the meat. Serve in corn tortillas with all your favorite taco toppings!!!! and rice and beans.
Recipe Source: Mel's Kitchen Cafe

No comments: