Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Chili Meatballs over Rice

So I don't know about you but here in our house we love meatballs. I was trying to find a new recipe to use with meatballs and came across this recipe on Pinterest. I adapted it quite a bit to suit our taste and boy was it tasty. It turned out so well and was gobbled up by all of my littles and hubby. If you love the meatball go run to your kitchen right now and make these. You will not be disappointed. Trust me!! Plus this meal come together fairly quickly making it all the more appealing to make if you ask me. Now if you are one of those who won't eat red meat. You can substitute turkey or chicken in beef's place but for me I will stick with beef I like it better and my motto is everything in moderation plus beef is loaded with iron which we all need. Just choose a lean ground beef!!
 
Chili Meatballs over Rice
2 lbs  ground beef
2 small onions or 1 large, minced small
1 1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
3 tsp salt(4 if you like it more salty I did 4 and thought it was the right amount)
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp spicy brown mustard
1 T. chili powder
2 large eggs
1 cup bread crumbs
handful of chopped pepperoni
2/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
 
Mix all the ingredients together. Roll into 1-2 inch balls and place them on an aluminum foil lined baking sheet and bake at 400 for 15-20 minutes or till no longer pink and crispy or browned real well on all sides. While meatballs are cooking start your chili Sauce:
1 large onion, chopped
2 bell peppers(I used red), chopped
1 poblano pepper, chopped
2 jalapenos, chopped
2 tomatoes, chopped
1 large can(28 oz) crushed tomatoes
4 T. molasses
2 T. brown sugar
4 T. apple cider vinegar
6 T. ketchup
2 T. minced garlic
5 T. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
2 T. chili powder
2 tsp garlic salt
1 can beef broth
1 T. dried parsley or 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
 
In a large pot sauté the onion, bell peppers, poblano, and jalapenos until beginning to get tender. Then add the fresh tomatoes and garlic and sauté for a few more minutes. Then add all of the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil. Add in the cooked meatballs and simmer for 20-30 minutes. The longer it simmer the better the flavor will be. Serve over rice.
 
Note: it was not spicy at all. All 3 of my kids ate this with no problems but if you are worried than just remember to deseed the pepper and take the ribs out because that is where the heat is but I like to leave the seeds and ribs in.

No comments: