Thursday, October 6, 2011

Roasted Red Pepper Hummus

Well in our household we love hummus but I hate buying it in the store because it is expensive. So I decided to make it one day. Man was it awesome and so cheap to make. If you love hummus go make yourself a big ol batch of it now. Don't buy it at the store go make some. If you are not familiar with hummus and wondering what you would eat it with. We dip veggies, crackers, pita chips, pita bread, naan bread, and pretzels in it. We also put it on sandwiches. My kids even gobble this stuff up!! They even ask for me to put some in their lunch with crackers or pretzels. Another great thing about it is that is it super good for you as well.
Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
3 cups cooked garbonzo (chickpeas) beans
1/2 of a 16 oz jar of roasted red peppers(or you can make your own)
2 tsp minced garlic
juice of 2 limes or lemons(I only had limes so that is what I used)
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cumin
1-2 T. olive oil

Blend all together in a blender or food processor until smooth. Serve with crackers, pretzels, pita chips or bread, veggies,etc. Store in the fridge.

2 comments:

Lara said...

We absolutely love hummus at our house, but I've never enjoyed the homemade versions I've made myself. I love the roasted red peppers in your version and I'm interested to try a recipe without the tahini that most hummus recipes call for.

Anonymous said...

I just tried this today!! it was sooooo delicious. I am literally a hummus addict so I was excited to try this. I went ahead and added a full 12 oz jar of peppers because I love them so much. Left out the salt, added some cracked black pepper, and threw in a little extra garlic. Thanks so much for this recipe. Too Good!!