Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Soft Wrap Bread

I found this recipe over at My Kitchen Cafe. I knew I had to try it. I am glad that I did although mine did not turn out as pretty as hers. I am sure I just need practice. I really do reccomend trying this recipe. It was way better than eating a store bought dry pita bread.

Soft Wrap Bread
*makes about 8-9 breads

3-3 1/4 cups flour
1 1/2 cups boiling water
1/4 cup potato flour or 1/2 cup potato bud or flakes(I used potato flakes)
1 1/4 tsp salt
2 T. vegetable or canola oil
1 tsp instant yeast

Place 2 cups flour into a bowl. Pour the boiling water over the flour and stir till smooth. Cover the bowl and set mixture aside for 30 minutes. In a seperate bowl, whisk together the potato flour or flakes and 1 cup of the remaining flour with the salt, oil and yeast. Add this to the cooled flour/water mixture, stir, then knead for several minutes(by hand, mixer, or bread machine)to form a soft dough.The dough should form a ball but should remain somewhat sticky(the dough is fairly stiff so don't be worried) Add additional flour only if necessary, if kneading by hand. keep your hands and work surface lightly oiled or sprayed with cooking spray so dough won't stick. Place dough in bowl, cover and let raise for 1 hour(I let mine rise up to two hours)Divide the dough into 8 pieces, cover and let rest 15-20 minutes. Roll each piece into a 7-8 inch circle and dry-fry them(without oil) on a griddle or frying pan over medium heat for about 2-3 minutes on each side until they are puffed up and flecked with brown spots. Serve immediately or cool slightly before storing in a plastic bag.

Note:this recipe works best with instant yeast so please use it and not the active dry yeast!!!

Here is the bread filled with grilled chicken, lettuce, tomatoes, avocadoes and cheese. This was so yummy but you can fill this with any sanwich fixings you like.

2 comments:

Hannah Eliason said...

Those of course look good and like fun compared to the regular tortilla shell. I dig ur new blog background!

Coleens Recipes said...

I'm so glad you tried this recipe. I've been wanting to but hoped someone would give it a thumbs up/down first. Thanks for sharing.