Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Stuffed Peppers

Oh how I love stuffed peppers. I have never made them before and I had a lot of green peppers I needed to use because I got the for really cheap so I started searching for a good recipe for them. All the recipes I found just seemed so bland and not what I was looking for so I came up with this one on my own and put what I wanted in them. They turned out so yummy. I had a little bit of rice mixture left over but I just put it in the pan with the peppers because I figured my 4 year old would not be big on eating a pepper. And he wasn't. He ate the stuff out of the middle of it so it was nice to have some plain rice on the side to dish up for him. Give these a try you won't be disappointed!!!


Stuffed Peppers
1lb ground beef
1 onion
2 T. minced garlic
4 bell peppers any color will work Tops cut off and deseeded and deveined
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1 tsp parsley
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp basil
2 1/2 cups cooked rice
1 roma tomato chopped
1(28 oz)can crushed tomatoes
1 cup cheddar cheese or Mozzarella( I used both)

In a skillet brown the hamburger with the onion and garlic until no longer pink. Add the seasonings and the tomato and canned tomatoes and let simmer for 20 minutes. While sauce is simmering, Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add the peppers and boil for 3-4 minutes. Remove from water and dry each pepper off. the pepper don't need to be too soft because they will continute to cook in the oven. Place them in a 9x13 greased baking pan. Dump the rice in with the sauce and mix well. Spoon the rice mixture into each pepper and any of the remaining rice all around the peppers in the pan. Cover and Bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with cheese and bake for and additional 15 minutes. Take out and serve. So Yummy!!!


1 comment:

Sheena Perron said...

I have been looking for a good stuffed pepper recipe. Yours looks delicious! I am going to put it on my menu and give it a try. I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks!!