Friday, November 7, 2008

Chili and Honey Cornbread Muffins

Who doesn't like a warm pot of chili on a cold day? It has been feeling like winter here lately so I made chili for dinner last night with Honey Cornbread muffins. It was so good and the thing I love about this chili is it cooks in the crockpot so all you have to do is brown the beef before hand. It is so simple and good. If you like chili not so sweet this is for you. My mom makes an
excellent chili that is more on the sweet side but I was in the mood last night for not so sweet chili. This chili also goes well for Navajo tacos if you like those also.


Chili
2 lbs ground beef
1 large onion
2 T lime pepper or lemon pepper if you can't find lime pepper
1 tsp cumin
2 tsp chili powder
2-15 oz cans pinto beans, drained
2-15 oz cans hot chili beans in sauce
2-15 oz cans black beans, drained
1 T. minced garlic
2 T chili powder
1-4 oz can diced green chilies
24-32 oz tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes
1-14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
1/2 cup medium salsa
1/2 T. crushed red chili flakes

Brown the beef with the onion, lime pepper seasoning, cumin, and 2 tsp chili powder until beef is cooked. Drain the grease and then pour into a 5-6 quart crockpot. Dump all the rest of the ingredients into the crockpot and cook on high for 4 hrs then on low for 2 more hrs.

Serve chili with these yummy muffins:

Honey Cornbread Muffins
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup flour
1 T. baking powder
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 cup milk
2 eggs
1 stick butter, melted
1/4 cup honey

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Mix all the dry ingredients together. Whisk in the milk, eggs, melted butter, and honey just until combined. Spray a muffin tin well with cooking spray. Pour batter into each muffin tin till about 2/3 full. Bake for about 12-15 minutes. Makes about 12-16 muffins. Be sure to spray the muffin tins each time you fill them or your muffins will not come out well.





I have always liked cornbread and I stumbled across this recipe on the Food Network website. These are my new favorite and will be the only way I will make cornbread for now on!!

4 comments:

Smitty n' Chelle said...

HEY JESSIE,
I WAS JUST THINKING ABOUT YOUR FOOD BLOG AND HAD A THOUGHT. HAVE YOU THOUGHT ABOUT MAKING THIS ONE A BLOG THAT MAKES YOU MONEY? YOU CAN HAVE ADVERTISEMENTS ON IT AND THEY PAY YOU AND HAVE IT IN GOOGLE SO THAT IS SOMEONE IS LOOKING FOR RECIPES THEY CAN FIND YOUR BLOG. IT WAS JUST A THOUGHT TO HELP YOU BRING IN A LITTLE EXTRA CASH. IF I KNEW SOMETHING I COULD DO TO MAKE AN EXTRA BLOG THAT WOULD MAKE ME MONEY I WOULD DO IT. ANYWAY JUST A THOUGHT :)

Carol said...

hachlearjessie this looks really yummy. I love soup or chili during the winter months. We usually have one or the other at least once a week so I'm definately going to try this recipe of yours. And the corn bread muffins look really good too.

Carol said...

sorry about that weird word at the beginning of my post. I think that is the word that i was suppossed to type for verification and somehow it typed into my post. I really wasn't calling you something weird. ;)

Hyrum and Elsie said...

I just made your chilli and I loved it! I'd been wanting to make chilli for a while but never got around to it.. I love it that you just basically throw everything in the crock pot and its ready when I come home! thanks for sharing your recipe. I think I will add less of the lime pepper next time. mine was a little tangy but still very delicious!