Monday, February 11, 2013

Crunchy Quinoa Granola

I am always on the hunt for new granola recipes. I eat granola or oatmeal every morning for breakfast so I like to change it up sometimes. I came across this one over at Two Peas and Their Pod. This was very tasty and I will be adding it to my growing list of Granola recipes. My favorite granola is still my Macaroon granola but I have never met a granola I didn't like!!!
 
Crunchy Quinoa Granola
3 c. quinoa
10 c. old fashioned oats
2 c. chopped almonds
2 c. coconut
1 1/2 cup wheat gream
1 1/2 cup flax seeds (ground or whole)
1/2-1 cup brown sugar(just depends on how sweet you want it)
1/2-1 cup honey(depends on how sweet again)
3 1/2 cups pumpkin puree
3/4 cup coconut oil,melted
2 tsp vanilla
1 T. maple extract
1 1/2 T. cinnamon
1 cup raisins
1 cup dates or craisins (i did dates)
 
Preheat oven to 275 degrees. Rinse the quinoa under cold water and drain well. In a large bowl combine quinoa, oats, almonds, coconut, wheat germ and flax seeds. In another bowl whisk together the sugar, honey, coconut oil, vanilla, maple extract, and cinnamon. Pour the wet ingredients over the dry and stir till combined well. Pour the granola evenly onto 3 large rimmed baking sheets. and bake for 40 minutes stirring a few times throughout the cooking process. Allow to cool on cookies sheets and then mix the raisins, craisins, and/or dates in. Store in and airtight container for up to one month.

NOte: you may also use some natural applesauce in place of half the oil and you may cut down the sugar and/or honey or you can even use agave nectar for the sweetener if you like. just tailor it to what you like. I like a mixture of brown sugar and honey so that is what i do and I usually add some applesauce but didn't have any on hand. Be creative!!!

No comments: