Thursday, November 4, 2010

Chocolate Granola

If you haven't noticed by now I love granola. I love how versatile homemade granola is. It is so easy to change it or to add what you like and you don't really have to follow a recipe to the T. Plus homemade granola is healthier for you and way cheaper than buying it in the store. If you haven't ever made your own granola I highly recommend that you give it a try. You won't be disappointed.

Chocolate Granola
8 cups old fashioned oats
1 cup wheat germ or wheat bran
1 cup flax seeds
1-2 cups chopped almonds or pecans
1 cup coconut
1 cup sunflower seeds

Mix these all together in a large bowl and set aside.

In a saucepan bring these ingredients to a boil:
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup Honey or agave nectar
2 T. vanilla
2 T. Cinnamon
2 T. maple syrup

Once it boils, take it off the heat and pour over the oat mixture. Mix until well combined. Spread mixture onto two greased large cookie sheets. Bake at 250 for 45 minutes stirring halfway through the baking time. Take out of the oven and let granola set on cookie sheets for 1 hour undisturbed. Then add in 2 cups dark or semi sweet chocolate chunks or chips and 1 cup raisins and mix well. Store in an airtight container or ziploc bags. Keeps for months!!

4 comments:

Jenny said...

I LOVE homemade granola! It never lasts very long, because I can't stop eating it, not even with anything else. But I especially love it on the homemade yogurt!

Coleens Recipes said...

CHOCOLATE granola? Oh my...I am in heaven.

Steph said...

I love this! In fact I am on my third time making it, and I live alone! It's great, thanks!

Shawnna said...

THis is a very tasty recipe. I've gotten rave reviews! I never thought of making homemade granola til I saw this recipe and won't go back to buying the stuff!!