Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Bourbon Chicken(no actual bourbon used)

Please disregard the yellow tint of my photo. It was dark already outside and inside lighting in my kitchen is horrible for picture taking. We love anything chinese in this house even my kids go crazy for it. If and when we go out for dinner(occasionally) they always seem to request chinese. So when I saw this recipe over on Jamie Cooks it Up website I knew I had to give this a try. Now for those of you, like me ,who do not drink any kind of alcohol this chicken is great because most bouron chicken has bourbon in it but this does not. I love how quick and easy this meal came together and it was delicious. My hubby and I had to put so Siracha chili sauce on to make it spicy because that is how we roll. I would have put it in the actual sauce but I wanted my little little ones to be able to eat it to. Anyway, if you like chinese food give this chicken try!!!


Bourbon Chicken
5 large chicken breasts, cut into 1-2 inch pieces
1 T. kosher salt
1 tsp pepper
1-2 T. sesame oil
2 T. olive oil
2 T. garlic, minced
1/2 cup apple or pineapple juice
2/3 cup brown sugar
4 T. ketchup
2 T. apple cider vinegar
1 cup water
2/3 cup soy sauce
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes(will not make it too spicy)
2 T. Cornstarch
Siracha Chili Sauce(optional)

Mix your diced chicken with salt, pepper, and sesame oil and refrigerate for 1 hour. Heat up a large skillet over medium high heat. Once it is hot add the olive oil. Add your chicken pieces and let them cook, stirring only occasionally. The chicken will start to get a bit juicy and bubbly. Put the lid on the pan and drain the juice off the chicken and discard. Continue cooking the chicken until the chicken starts to get a nice brown color to some of the pieces. While the chicken is browning, in a medium size bowl combine, the garlic, apple juice, brown sugar, ketchup, vinegar, water, soy sauce, red pepper flakes, and cornstarch. Whisk until the cornstarch is dissolved and all ingredients are well combined. When .your chicken is nice and browned. Pour the sauce over the chicken. stir it around to cover all the chicken pieces. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, coverd with lid vented to let steam escape, for 20 minutes. Stir a couple of time during that period. Serve over white or brown rice with steamed veggies. Also add some Siracha chili sauce if you like it spicy( you can find this in any store in the asian section).

1 comment:

Coleens Recipes said...

I'm sure glad you put that "no actual bourbon" comment at the top of the recipe..haha...I almost skipped over this great recipe. Thanks for sharing.