Thursday, October 16, 2008

Cafe Rio Chicken with Refried Beans and Rice

I am sure all of you have seen recipes for Cafe Rio food. There are lots of recipes floating around out there. I came across this one and it look good so I thought I would try it. It turned out to be good. I will be adding this to my recipe box. I will also give you the recipe for authetic refried beans and Spanish rice- That's right the recipes come straight from a little old mexican lady that taught me how to make them. Sorry there is no picture for the rice but trust me it is good!!! I also buy the uncooked tortillas from Sam's club but you can find them at Costco and Macey's. These taste more like the real thing. But use whatever tortilla you like. One day I hope to master the tortilla making skill.





Cafe Rio Chicken


5 lbs chicken breasts


1 small bottle zesty Italian dressing


1 T. minced garlic


2 packets Ranch dressing mix mixed with 1 cup water


1 T. chili powder


1 T. cumin






Place all in a crockpot and cook on high for 5-7 hours. Remove the chicken and shred it with two forks. Reserve most of the liquid-depending on how saucey you like it. Mix the shredded chicken with the reserved liquid. Use for tacos, burritos, enchiladas or even quesadillas. Note: I used all of the liquid in mine and this is what it looked like:




Refried Beans
2 cups dried pinto beans
1/2 onion chopped
2 jalapenos, chopped
1 T. minced garlic
2-3 tsp. salt
6-8 cups water

Rinse the beans. Place all in a crockpot and cook on high for 4-6 hours or until the beans are really soft. Drain off some of the liquid-most of it just leave a little. Mash with a immersion blender or a potato masher. My friend uses her kitchen aid with the paddle attachment and that works for her. You can also do this same thing and use Black beans instead and leave them whole. These are yummy as well.

Spanish Rice

2 cups uncooked rice

1 onion chopped

1 T. minced garlic

2-3 T. Olive oil

1 regular size can diced tomatoes with the juice

3 cups water

3 tsp chicken bouillon

3 tsp chili powder

1 tsp. salt

Heat the oil in a large sauce pan. Add the rice, onion and garlic and cook until the onion is almost tender. Add the tomatoes, water, chicken bouillon, chili powder, and salt. Bring to a boil. Stir, reduce heat and cover with lid and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until all the liquid is absorbed.

2 comments:

Erin said...

Seriously, thank you for all of these recipes! I can't wait to try the rice and chicken (I've already tried the beans and they are YUMMY when I don't add too much salt).

Panda said...

i'm so glad you started this...yay for new recipes!