Monday, April 11, 2011

York Peppermint Patties

My hubby could eat his weight in peppermint patties and they are so expensive to buy. I found this recipe for homemade ones and knew I had to give it a try. I can't remember where I found this but thank you to whomever it was. These are delicious, simple, and taste(if you ask me) just like the real thing. My hubby and kids gobbled them up. And with 5 simple ingredients what isn't to like about that?


Peppermint Patties
1 can sweetened condensed milk
5 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2-3 tsp peppermint extract
3 cups semi sweet or milk chocolate chips
3 T. shortening

Mix the sweetened condensed milk, 2 cups sugar, and the extract on medium speed using the paddle attachment until all ingredients are well incorporated. Add more powdered sugar, a half cup at a time until well incorporated and dough is pliable like firm modeling clay. Divide the dough in half and roll each half into a log, wrap in plastic wrap, and freeze for at least 30 minutes. Meanwhile, melt the chocolate with the shortening in the microwave in 30 second increments until melted and smooth. Take logs out of the freezer and cut in slices. dip each slice in the chocolate until covered. Place on a cookie sheet and let sit till set. Will work faster if you put them in the fridge. Enjoy!!

8 comments:

Smitty n' Chelle said...

yummy. I gotta try these. yorks are my favorite candy!

Peggy Clyde said...

I like to use a two-tined meat fork to dip my patties into the chocolate. Then I shake off the excess. This works great for me. Yours look so good. My centers are harder to make than your recipe. I can't wait to try yours. Thanks.

Lara said...

This is one of my favorite treats ever. I'll have to try and make my own!

Tami said...

I'm drooling! Love peppermint patties!

Kathy said...

You know, I have been wanting to make these for years. I should really just do make them. Those look fantastic!

Smitty n' Chelle said...

I made them and they are so good. Mine just don't look as godo as yours. I was struggling with the dipping part! but hey, they taste yummy and that is all that matters right?!

Unknown said...

Mmmmm I am definitley trying these! They look exactly like the real thing : )

Emily said...

Perfect for the christmas plates...or everyday plates, whichever works!