Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Apple Nut Coffee Cake

Do you want something tasty for a Saturday or Sunday breakfast? Are you tired of the same old cold cereal each morning? THen you must try this recipe out. My hubby and kids loved this!! I did as well. I found this recipe over at Recipe Shoebox and knew I had to try it out. So a few Saturdays ago we had this yummy coffee cake for breakfast. Now if you are trying to loose weight you won't by eating this cake but you must give it a try. It is a good way to use apples that are going soft or bad.

Apple Nut Coffee Cake
Cake:
1 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cup sugar
1(16 oz)container sour cream(2 cups)
2 tsp. vanilla
4 large eggs
1 T. baking powder
2 tsp. baking soda
2 1/2 cups flour(can use white whole wheat flour)
4-5 medium apples(peeled and sliced thinly)I used 3 large apples

Streusel:
1 cup pecans, chopped
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
2/3 cups flour
4 T. butter

Prepare the streusel topping by combining all ingredients in a medium size bowl until the mixture forms large pieces. Set Aside. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 14x10 inch roasting pan or 2 8x8 inch pans.
In a large bowl, beat the butter with the 1 1/2 cups sugar until light and fluffy. Add the sour cream, baking powder, baking soda, vanilla, eggs, and 2 1/2 cups flour. Beat mixture at low speed until blended, occasionally scraping bowl. Increase the speed to medium and beat for 1 minute. Spread batter into the prepared pan or pans. Arrange apple slices evenly on top to the edge of the pan(s). Crumblw the streusel topping over the apple Layer. Bake at 45-50 minutes, until the cake pulls away from the sides of pan. Take out and let cool for 10 minutes. Then serve and enjoy.

Note: YOu can eat this without glaze but I put a milk/powdered sugar glaze with 1 tsp almond extract on top. I didn't measure the milk and powdered sugar I just eyeballed it till was the consistency I wanted.

Note: I doubled the streusel topping because I like a lot!!


So yummy!!!!

2 comments:

Cristine said...

Mmmmm!!! That looks fantastic!

Lara said...

I'm so glad you liked it. I think we'll try it with the doubled streusel next time too. Yours turned out so pretty!